To explain what I did (and what I will probably do for the rest of the scenes), was mainly use the Pose-To-Pose method for animating. Before animating, I would load in the animatic to get an idea of the timing and to also sync the animation with the music.
First, I blocked in my main poses. For walks and runs, I just re-used loopable walk/run cycles I created earlier.
Then, I would position and stage the characters to be seen clearly from the camera's point of view.
Once I was happy with that, I would time the poses to look somewhat natural. I should have used video reference here, at the least video footage of me acting out the scenes to get a better and more realistic idea of timing and poses. I might do this in the remaining scenes.
At this point I should have a nice looking animation, and I would then go into the dopesheet and add in the usual moving-holds, messing the keys about to break that robotic feeling.
One of the tough challenges in this scene was crowds. I'll detail this in a later post, but I mainly found populating the lecture hall scene with many students to take a heavy toll on my PC and became very difficult to work with. I ended up using just 15 characters in the scene, the maximum my PC can handle. The final scene will need a stadium full of people, and I will need to do my research and find a way to populate these kinds of scenes.
Overall though, the scenes have come out well and should be fun and enjoyable to watch when finally rendered. The problem with 'Theevan' and 'Tripping' was that it took a while before the story started to get somewhat interesting. I've done my best to make the first few minutes as clear as possible to the audience. What has mainly helped was having the animatic there. This helped speed up my animation workflow heaps without having to second guess alot which I didn't realise in my earlier projects.
I guess I can now take a slight breather before starting the second scene and wait for the rendering to complete :)